When to Consider Using an Application Filing Service?

We all know the importance of our Social Security cards. We all know that we should look after them carefully, and so we all start with the best of intentions. Unfortunately, things go wrong from time to time.

application filing service
application filing service

Your card might get stolen or lost, and when that happens, it’s time to get in touch with the Social Security Administration office and find out about getting a replacement. This sounds simple enough, but it becomes problematic when you have to go in and stand in those long lines.

Finding the Documents Online

So, what’s the alternative? You can go onto the SSA’s website and figure out the steps to take from there. It doesn’t look very complicated —all you need to do is to complete the application form, collect the right documents, and then submit everything.

In theory, it couldn’t be simpler. Though, we’re dealing with a fully-fledged government department here.

First, you must find the right form to complete, which is not that hard, to be fair. Next, you need to complete each field, which becomes more difficult as it’s a bit confusing.

The worst part of all, though, is figuring out what documents you need to send in with your application. You can almost imagine some clerk in some back office going through your use and, with an evil laugh, stamping it declined.

Okay, so it probably isn’t with an evil laugh. However, you are dealing with a person here, and perhaps someone who spends his or her day processing applications. Sending it back because something is missing is much easier than contacting you and investigating the problem on their end.

So, you’ll get your documents back with a request for more information and the process starts all over again.

Avoiding This Problem

If you’re not interested in this kind of trial and error approach to getting a replacement card, you can use an application filing service instead. They’re not going to intercede on your behalf with the SSA, but they can help you make sure that your application is as correct as possible.

This is the easiest way to do things. It’s not free, but it’s also not prohibitively expensive.

The process is simple; you find an agency and go onto their site. You’ll let them know what you are looking for and they’ll put you through to their application wizard. Through a series of questions, they’ll be able to narrow down the information that you need for your form and complete it for you.

You’ll pay your fee and get the completed form to download and print. They will also advise you on the documents to send through with it.


If you have a bit of time on your hands, there is no reason that you cannot find out this information on your own. However, if you don’t want to have to wade through information on a government site, or visit their offices to get the info, a filing service could be right for you.