There are all the top-class facilities that should be present in a modern International Airport are all present within the airport at Chandigarh. The airport has connected almost the entire North India with the other parts of the world and even with the other cities of India. The domestic and international, both types of flights are available to and from Chandigarh Airport. The civil and military, both types of aircraft are managed and maintained at the airport. The runway is around 12,400 ft. long while the take-off length is around 10,400 ft. The airport is situated at around 9 kilometers far from the Chandigarh city in the Jheourheri village. The terminal is inaugurated by PM Narendra Modi on 11th September 2015.
The terminal is decorated with green plants, herbs, and a variety of trees providing the feel of a beautiful soothing botanical garden. It has been awarded as the best airport in terms of quality service within the category best environment and ambiance by size. Indian Airforce, Airports Authority of India and Chandigarh International Airport Limited have been using the airport at Chandigarh serving their purposes accordingly.
The Location And the Layout
The airport is located at Mohali, near the Jheourheri village in Chandigarh, Punjab. There are both domestic and international airports within an area of around 305 acres.
Are There Any Week Offs?
The terminal is closed every Sunday due to maintenance work and cleaning purposes. But from October 2019, the terminals are supposed to be closed on every second and fourth Saturdays.
The Chandigarh airport has air-conditioning halls for visitors with restroom and other food counter facilities where they can get freshened up while waiting for the guest’s arrival. The entry fee is charged 30 INR for each visitor entering the lounge. There is a separate lounge for the passengers with delicious snack joints and barbeques, air-conditioned salon and spa services to get pampered before or after a tiring flight.
Distance From the Nearest Railway Station, Which is the Chandigarh Railway Station
Chandigarh Airport is around 5 Kilometers far from the nearest railway station which is the Chandigarh Railway Station.
How Far is The Nearest Bus Stop?
The nearest bus stop from Chandigarh Airport is the sector 43 bus stop, which is around 10 Kilometers far from the airport.
CAT -III Installation At The Airport
Government of India and the High Court permitted for CAT-III installation at the International Airport at Chandigarh. Due to this advancement in technology the airport is now fully equipped with all the facilities to run the flights even at night. Also, there will be an ease in communication with foreign aircraft operators. The ground level lights are installed in this operation which costs around 60 Cr. INR.
Things to Remember When Visiting the Airport at Chandigarh for the Very First Time
- The airport is fully functional, but they still don’t have an official website. So make sure your flight bookings, timings, etc. via phone calls and other means of communication.
- Taxi services from the airport are a bit costlier. It is better to go by bus or by the shuttle services by the airport authorities which provide an excellent mode of transportation. But the airport shuttle is only available from the airport towards the city and not the reverse way.
- The food stalls inside the airport are very costly as compared to the other airports in India.
- The check-in procedure is much easier as the airport is quite small with less number of flights and passengers.
- Photography is not allowed as there is a military base present at the airport.