FC Schalke 04 have denied reports that a deal taking midfielder Leon Goretzka to Bayern Munich has been finalised.
The 22-year-old midfielder, who signed from VFL Bochum in 2013, has made 49 appearances for the club in all competitions this season, finding the back of the net eight times, with his form naturally attracting the attention of the Bundesliga champions.
An hour before Schalke’s game against Hamburg on Saturday, Sky Deutschland reported that Goretzka would be heading to the Allianz Arena next season.
But Schalke general manager Christian Heidel has dismissed the reports that Goretzka is going to sign for Bayern as false.
“It’s not decent for Sky to make an announcement, which is completely baseless, an hour before kick-off,” Heidel was quoted by FourFourTwo.
“People shouldn’t spread this information as if it’s a done deal when it’s merely speculation,” he continued.
“It’s absolute nonsense. Bayern have not even made contact with Schalke and I’ve had good talks with Leon Goretzka and his advisor [Jorg Neubauer] so far.
“He has a great opportunity to become the face of Schalke over the next few years.”
Heidel, however, admitted that it was inevitable that the Germany international, whose current deal expires in 2018, would leave for a bigger club in the future.
“I realise it is inevitable that Leon Goretzka will probably at some stage move to at club at higher sporting level than Schalke.
“But for a young player like Leon, it’s definitely a question of when. If inevitable judge him correctly, he would have said something to me if he had already made his decision to join another club,” said Heidel.