Jordaan rules out SA bid to host 2018 CHAN

SAFA president Danny Jordaan said no bid would be placed by South Africa to host the 2018 African Nations Championship, after Kenya were stripped of the right to host the competition.

CAF took the decision earlier this month to remove the Kenyans as hosts after concerns about the standard of facilities in that country, while recent political instability also played a role.

The decision to change the host country was made by the CAF executive committee‚ which includes Jordaan‚ in Ghana last weekend after an inspection team returned from Nairobi.

New bids to host the 16-team tournament must now be submitted before this Sunday (1 October), however, South Africa have been ruled out of contention. The 2014 CHAN hosts have often been called upon to act as cover in other continental competitions mainly because of the high standard of existing infrastructure.   

Nonetheless, Jordaan believes that hosting the 2018 CHAN would have few benefits for the national side. He told SowetanLIVE, “The problem for us is the release of players. It would be a fight to get a decent team and would offer few positive outcomes.”

Morocco are reportedly favourites to take over the running of the tournament. The ambitious North African nation are also bidding to take charge of the World Cup in 2026.

Go to Source