Glik commits to Monaco

Monaco defender Kamil Glik has handed the Ligue 1 champions with a major boost by committing his future to the club until 2021.

The Principality outfit announced on Thursday that the Poland intentional had penned a one-year extension to prolong his career at Stade Louis II.

Glik arrived at the start of last season from Serie A side Torino for a reported €11 million and has developed into one of Europe’s elite centre-backs.

The 29-year-old’s combative style of play and passing ability within the ultra-attacking tactical system employed by manager Leonardo Jardim earned him plaudits as they reached the last-four of the Champions League and ousted PSG to the league title.

“I am really very happy, especially after our superb season last year. We always gave 100%,” Glik told the club’s official website.

“This season, the objectives are the same. To go as far as possible in the Champions League. We’ll be going out to defend our French league title and keep winning!”

Les Monegasques vice-president Vadim Vasilyev expressed his delight at retaining one of the Jardim’s senior players.

“We are delighted to extend Kamil’s contract,” Vasilyev said. “He is one of the leaders who are important for the squad and the development of younger players.”

Glik scored eight goals and registered three assists in 52 games across all competitions in his first season with Jardim’s side.

Go to Source