The Swiss 19-time grand slam winner heads to the upcoming US Open with a number of big-name players – Andy Murray, Novak Djokovic and Stan Wawrinka – being forced to pull out of the last grand slam tournament of the year due to injuries.
In an interview during a press conference, the 36-year-old Federer said, “The guys who are hurt lately, it’s mostly because they are 30-plus.
“I don’t think there needs to be that much addressing because the players, they have the option not to play as much as sometimes they have to or want to.
“I don’t think the tour is doing much wrong, to be quite honest,” he said.
Federer added that with the big names being forced to pull out of the US Open, which starts on Monday, it gave the lesser-known talent the chance to emerge.
“It’s a huge opportunity for guys ranked outside of the top 10 because there are less guys to beat, getting to quarters or semis, potentially, depending on your section,” he said.
The Swiss heads into the final grand slam of the year on a high having claimed the Australian Open and Wimbledon titles along with five other tournament victories.
He was forced to pull out of Cincinnati Masters earlier this month with a back injury but said he is happy with the way he is feeling.
“I have been playing sets the last few days and I’m really happy how I’m feeling … few days out of the first round here now.”
Federer’s first round US Open opponent, on Tuesday night, is 19-year-old American Frances Tiafoe.