Fabinho: Monaco eyeing league success

Brazilian midfielder Fabinho says Monaco have prioritised winning Ligue 1 ahead of the Champions League as they fight for honours on four fronts.

Les Monégasques currently top the standings after 30 matches, with 71 points, three clear of second-placed Paris-Saint Germain.

With eight games of the season still to play, the 23-year-old said that while Monaco are loving their European “adventure”, their ultimate goal is league success.

Monaco, who defeated Manchester City over two legs to secure their place in the Champions League quarter-finals, now have a tricky test against Borussia Dortmund.

And ahead of his side’s Coupe de La Ligue final with PSG on Saturday, Fabinho explained: “Our ultimate goal is to win the league. 

“The Champions League is an adventure and we’ll try to go as far as possible in it. 

“The league is the longest competition and you get rewarded for your consistency. 

“We are three points clear with eight matches to go and they will be eight finals. We know that PSG are waiting for us to slip up.”

Monaco, who have not claimed Ligue 1 honours since 2000, are still competing in four competitions, as apart from the league, Champions League and Coupe de La Ligue tie, they also face LOSC in the last eight of the Coupe de France.

Fabinho, who is suspended for Saturday’s final, added: “By knocking them (Manchester City) out we proved to people that we can play in Europe the way we play in France. 

“For those who think it’s easy to score as many goals in France, we proved we can also do it in the Champions League.

“I think Borussia Dortmund have a 55% chance of going through and us 45%. I think there will be lots of goals as both sides love attacking.”