The company is said to be investigating two reports, in Japan and Taiwan, which surfaced on social media last week, showing pictures of the smartphones in which the screen had separated from the rest of the phone.
Next Web reported the user in Taiwan saying that the phone split while it was charging.
Mashable reported that the Japan user said that the phone was already split when he opened the box.
No incidents have been reported in the United States as yet and to date, the two incidents mentioned are the onlyones to have surfaced since the device went on sale on September 22.
In a statement, Apple would only confirm that it was looking into the incidents, but did not give out any other details.
The company also declined to comment on the number of devices already shipped, but analysts have put the numbers of the iPhone 8 and iPhone 8 Plus combined at between 16 and 18 milion units for the first weekend of sales.
No signs of explosion or fire were reported or believed to have caused the devices to split.
Fortunately for Apple, this likely rules out a similar problem faced by rivals Samsung with their Galaxy Note 7.
Samsung had to recall the device as a result fo battery issues. It confirmed at least 35 incidents of violent explosions before launching a global recall of the device.